On evenings like these when I am home alone and my two kids are off living their lives (how dare they!), I think. Yeah I know, crazy…me think about stuff? Anyway……I must say that I am a proud parent and despite having me for their Mom, my kids turned out pretty ok.
These are flashbacks, in no particular order, of some of the things I have done with or “to” my son Brian and my daughter Kaitlin~
- Camped in Yosemite and threw sausages into the woods in the middle of the night trying to attract bears
- Went whale watching with the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum
- Woke up at 4:30am and missed school to go meet Kevin Bacon
- Threw Kaitlin’s baby doll out of the car window on the freeway because she wouldn’t stop screaming (I went back and got it)
- Went ghost hunting and snuck into cemeteries in the middle of the night, wearing all black like we were special ops
- Drove up to Beverly Hills with Kaitlin and her friends, had a “Pretty Woman” moment of our own on Rodeo Drive and were cussed out by Ozzy Osbourne
- Saw Metallica and Godsmack with my 17 year old son
- Glued a fake screwdriver to my son’s face in 1st grade for Halloween and they sent him home because “he was scaring the Kindergardeners” oh brother
- Sat outside in our car for hours waiting for baby calves to be born at the dairy farm
- Flew to Vegas and let them rent a limo to take us the short 2 miles to our hotel just so we could say we were in a limo
- Kaitlin and I got matching tattoos
- Raced golf carts around Catalina, with Brian poking at me with a stick and offroading it….good thing they were rentals 🙂
- Letting Kaitlin and her friends swim in their underwear at a boutique hotel in Bel Air
- Timed the drive from OJ’s house to Nicole Brown Simpson’s condo (he is so guilty, we proved it haha)
- Brian Regan, Nick Swardson, Daniel Tosh
- Made Kaitlin chocolate chip pancakes with a smiley face every birthday since the day she was born…..still do it
- Taught Brian how to make most of the recipes he loved when he lived at home with me and hopefully it impressed his girlfriend 🙂
- Told Kaitlin she was an accident, accidentally, during a shopping trip to JC Penney when she was 7 or 8 years old
- Yelled at Brian for laughing when I told his sister she was an accident
- watched Brian teach his sister to ride a bike down a dirt hill in our backyard and watched Brian teach his little sister to dance…..
and yet they live!! <shakes fist at the world of doubters-insert evil laughter here>
No matter what they decide to be “when they grow up”, they have already become everything I ever wanted. They are kind, smart and giving people. They are twisted in all the right ways, and they both have a tremendous sense of self. Children are born to this Earth ready to be the people they are already destined to be. All we can do is raise them, guide them as best as we can and hope that enough of the good stuff sticks. They know how much they are loved, admired and respected by their Mother….and I hope they know much I value their friendship. No matter where they go in life as long as they are truly happy, I will never EVER be disappointed. My little free spirits. You inspire me.